Gamereactor uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best browsing experience on our website. If you continue, we'll assume that you are happy with our cookies policy

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Eternal Darkness 2 cancelled

Silicon Knights dirty laundry aired.

Subscribe to our newsletter here!

* Required field

In what must be deemed a smoldering story of the reasons why X-Men Destiny was a monumental failure, Kotaku, also cited a source claiming that while Silicon Knights were intentionally delaying that game they were using the funds to work on Eternal Darkness 2.

"SK didn't take the development of XMD seriously the entire time I was there," a source says. "They were working on an Eternal Darkness 2 demo that they could take to publishers. While I was there, they were even siphoning off staff from my [XMD] team to work on it." Sources allege that many of SK's programmers, artists and designers were not contributing to the final quality of XMD at all-at least, not in the first year of the game's development. "I was always complaining to the producers about this, as the numbers never worked out," the same source says. "Denis is not an X-Men fan either, so he didn't care much for the license. To him, it seemed more like a job to get us by, until ED2 could be developed and sold to a publisher-which never happened."

Another source said that "SK had about 60% of the development team working on XMD and the other 40% working on ED2. This was brought up several times; that some of the individuals on the other project were major contributors, and should be brought onto XMD to shore up the team and help them get back on track." (This 60%/40% staffing estimate was backed up by multiple sources.)

At some point Eternal Darkness 2 was also put on hold, perhaps the Silicon Knights name was so tarnished after Too Human, X-Men Destiny and the cancelled Sega published title (The Box/The Ritualyst). Kotaku put the current number of employees at just 5 with Denis Dyack being one of them. The question is whether Silicon Knights can ever rise again.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Silicon Knight's most celebrated game was released on Gamecube in 2002.

Related texts

Loading next content